Sunday, June 17, 2007

Vern my HERO


I spent the morning photographing fathers and their children or families who could think of nothing better to do than shoot bow and arrow most of the morning at a local scout camp. Vern saved my life today. I bet you are thinking this camp veteran of 29 years made some kind of heroic gesture, pushing me out of the way of a speeding arrow or brought me bug spray after I was eaten nearly to death by the vicious little creatures with wings. No, No, this man saved me from a UFO believing crazy man. REWIND: Last spring while minding my own business photographing the two dozen or so middle aged men playing softball in Pine Grove Park, this guy Ed comes up to me and starts talking about how god talks to him and how UFOs are coming to get us all. He said they had already gotten the squirrels in the park and an invasion was closer than I thought. It took me more than half an hour to shake the crazy. Today as Vern and I were cruising the camp looking for little lads and their fathers when we spotted a pair in the woods. The boy even had part of scout uniform on. Perfect I thought. As I stepped off the ATV and looked up, to my surprise the man next to was the crazy dude from the park. Even worse his eyes popped, he had recognized me and with in moments I heard my name muttered from his UFO believing self. I was caught. My memories of the day in the park quickly returned. My eye's began to glaze and I was obedient to his trance when the next thing I knew Vern stepped in to whisk me away with some made up story about how he needed to get back up to the gate. Good call Vern. I owe you my sanity...

No comments: